I previously thought that /usr/portage/distfiles
only contains  tar files. I have not clean up the
system, as I'm moving (dupicating some files for my
/usr/local/   needs.

But I do not remember ever seeing any types of files
other than compressed tar files in /distfiles/

Now I have (sampling):

*.pathch

I thought all patch files where kept in the subdirs where the
ebuilds are located (files dir)? It is still where most *.patch
files are located.

*.exe  (like verdan32.exe webdin32.exe )

and many others (here's a sample from /usr/portage/distfiles):

scons-2.3.0-user.html
scons-2.3.0-user.pdf
scrollkeeper-omf.dtd
seamonkey-2.26.1-en-GB.xpi
rdoc-4.0.1.gem
readline62-004
rfc2307bis.schema-20140524
nmap-logo-64.png
gobject-introspection-1.40.0.tar.xz._checksum_failure_.146ofr

I guess I need "enlightenment" ?
Also, in the past I have manually aged/pruned or size/prunded
the disfiles dir, but I stopped doing that in the age
of 2T+ sized drives....maybe I need to return to cleaning up
distfiles/ by hand?

curiously,
James