This is the continuation from the thread
"XFCE weather plugin does not work"

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:37:16 +0100
> David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 22:33:45 +0100, Neil Bothwick (n...@digimed.co.uk)
>> wrote about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: XFCE weather plugin does not work"
>> (in <20141017223345.16c96...@digimed.co.uk>):

>> > AFAIR the ebuild simply has to call epatch_user() in src_unpack()
>> > and any matching patches in /etc/portage/patches are applied.
>>
>> The usual place is src_prepare().
>>
>> I have prepared some patches from the Xfce repository with line
>> addressing to match the Gentoo sources tarball.  I attach a tarball of
>> theses patches that can be untarred in /etc/portage/patches/.
>
> I have unpacked your patches to /etc/portage/patches as described here:
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
> and then run # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
>
> After restarting xfce4, the weather-plugin started to work. Thank you.
>
> Nevertheless, just
> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask world
> instead of # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
> did not worked.
>
>> The ebuild should have the following lines added:
>>
>> src_prepare() {
>>         epatch_user
>> }
>
> I have not done this relying on the promise by  Greg Kubaryk
> that the ebuild is epatch_user enabled.
>
>> Don't forget to redo the manifest for the ebuild.
>
> I never dealt with ebuilds on a maintaner level.
> So, may I ask if it is really necessary and for which purpose.

Just after emerging xfce4-weather-plugin with the patches
provided by David W Noon, I have noticed that I lost all my
alternative keyboard layouts.

I tried to set them anew via xfce4 Keyboard Layouts Plugin
version 0.5.6 but there is no keyboard layout that suits my
keyboard.

Unfortunately, unmerging xfce4-weather-plugin did not help.

Another thing I did just before re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin
was a routine system update. This time only net-dns/libidn package
was updated from version 1.28 to version 1.29, and before that
update my alternative keyboard layouts were still present, as
I remember using them just after the update but before rebooting
the system.

So, it also may be that updating libidn package caused the damage.

I remember that, while installing Gentoo about 15 months ago,
I set my keyboard layout not via an xfce4 plugin but somewhere
in the X11 settings. (At that time I had gnome2 instead of xfce4 anyway).

So, may be now, re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin, or trying
to set the alternative keyboard layout anew, I have created some
xfce4 configuration file that shadows X11 (or old gnome2) settings
that xfce4 used for keyboard layout previously.

Any thoughts?