On Saturday 18 Oct 2014 09:34:53 gevisz wrote:
> This is the continuation from the thread
> "XFCE weather plugin does not work"

> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:37:16 +0100
> >
> > David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 22:33:45 +0100, Neil Bothwick (n...@digimed.co.uk)
> >> wrote about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: XFCE weather plugin does not work"
> >>
> >> (in <20141017223345.16c96...@digimed.co.uk>):

> >> The usual place is src_prepare().
> >>
> >> I have prepared some patches from the Xfce repository with line
> >> addressing to match the Gentoo sources tarball.  I attach a tarball of
> >> theses patches that can be untarred in /etc/portage/patches/.
> >
> > I have unpacked your patches to /etc/portage/patches as described here:
> > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
> > and then run # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
> >
> > After restarting xfce4, the weather-plugin started to work. Thank you.
> >
> > Nevertheless, just
> > # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask
> > world instead of # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
> > did not worked.
> >
> >> The ebuild should have the following lines added:
> >>
> >> src_prepare() {
> >>
> >>         epatch_user
> >>
> >> }
> >
> > I have not done this relying on the promise by  Greg Kubaryk
> > that the ebuild is epatch_user enabled.
> >
> >> Don't forget to redo the manifest for the ebuild.
> >
> > I never dealt with ebuilds on a maintaner level.
> > So, may I ask if it is really necessary and for which purpose.
>
> Just after emerging xfce4-weather-plugin with the patches
> provided by David W Noon, I have noticed that I lost all my
> alternative keyboard layouts.
>
> I tried to set them anew via xfce4 Keyboard Layouts Plugin
> version 0.5.6 but there is no keyboard layout that suits my
> keyboard.
>
> Unfortunately, unmerging xfce4-weather-plugin did not help.
>
> Another thing I did just before re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin
> was a routine system update. This time only net-dns/libidn package
> was updated from version 1.28 to version 1.29, and before that
> update my alternative keyboard layouts were still present, as
> I remember using them just after the update but before rebooting
> the system.
>
> So, it also may be that updating libidn package caused the damage.
>
> I remember that, while installing Gentoo about 15 months ago,
> I set my keyboard layout not via an xfce4 plugin but somewhere
> in the X11 settings. (At that time I had gnome2 instead of xfce4 anyway).
>
> So, may be now, re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin, or trying
> to set the alternative keyboard layout anew, I have created some
> xfce4 configuration file that shadows X11 (or old gnome2) settings
> that xfce4 used for keyboard layout previously.
>

> Any thoughts?

I think you are referring to the XkbLayout.  In /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-
evdev.conf you can add a section like so with the keyboard languages of your
choice:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "XkbLayout" "gb,el"
        Option "XkbOptions"
"grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

--
Regards,
Mick