> This is the continuation from the thread
> "XFCE weather plugin does not work"

>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:37:16 +0100
>> David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 22:33:45 +0100, Neil Bothwick (n...@digimed.co.uk)
>>> wrote about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: XFCE weather plugin does not work"
>>> (in <20141017223345.16c96...@digimed.co.uk>):

>>> The usual place is src_prepare().
>>>
>>> I have prepared some patches from the Xfce repository with line
>>> addressing to match the Gentoo sources tarball.  I attach a tarball of
>>> theses patches that can be untarred in /etc/portage/patches/.
>>
>> I have unpacked your patches to /etc/portage/patches as described here:
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
>> and then run # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
>>
>> After restarting xfce4, the weather-plugin started to work. Thank you.
>>
>> Nevertheless, just
>> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask world
>> instead of # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
>> did not worked.
>>
>>> The ebuild should have the following lines added:
>>>
>>> src_prepare() {
>>>         epatch_user
>>> }
>>
>> I have not done this relying on the promise by  Greg Kubaryk
>> that the ebuild is epatch_user enabled.
>>
>>> Don't forget to redo the manifest for the ebuild.
>>
>> I never dealt with ebuilds on a maintaner level.
>> So, may I ask if it is really necessary and for which purpose.
>
> Just after emerging xfce4-weather-plugin with the patches
> provided by David W Noon, I have noticed that I lost all my
> alternative keyboard layouts.
>
> I tried to set them anew via xfce4 Keyboard Layouts Plugin
> version 0.5.6 but there is no keyboard layout that suits my
> keyboard.
>
> Unfortunately, unmerging xfce4-weather-plugin did not help.
>
> Another thing I did just before re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin
> was a routine system update. This time only net-dns/libidn package
> was updated from version 1.28 to version 1.29, and before that
> update my alternative keyboard layouts were still present, as
> I remember using them just after the update but before rebooting
> the system.
>
> So, it also may be that updating libidn package caused the damage.
>
> I remember that, while installing Gentoo about 15 months ago,
> I set my keyboard layout not via an xfce4 plugin but somewhere
> in the X11 settings. (At that time I had gnome2 instead of xfce4 anyway).
>
> So, may be now, re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin, or trying
> to set the alternative keyboard layout anew, I have created some
> xfce4 configuration file that shadows X11 (or old gnome2) settings
> that xfce4 used for keyboard layout previously.
>

> Any thoughts?

I have found out that my problem with xfce4 keyboard plugin
reduces to the fact that now I cannot choose Russian Winkeys
alternative keyboard: there is no such option in the corresponding
keyboard layout settings. So, I have to choose Osetinian Winkeys
alternative keyboard as it is appears to be the next best choice:
only one extra unnecessary letter "ӕ" in place of "э" and the letter
"э" is set in another easy to remember position.

But everything worked perfect before emerging xfce4-weather-plugin
with patches and libidn!