On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
<frodriguez.develo...@outlook.com> wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2014 10:59:52 AM Michael Mattes wrote:
>> And that is because of the additional features? :-D
>
> I've had issues with the additional features too. Some of the USB serial
> devices don't get detected. But this is fixed by disabling the Gentoo specific
> options. I may be wrong but I think they're just configuration patches, not
> the
> actual kernel sources. I do use the vanilla kernel because at one point I
> needed features from a version that wasn't yet on portage.

How long ago was this?  It looks like gentoo-sources just tracks the
stable kernel, and so does vanilla-sources.  If you want mainline you
need git-sources, assuming you aren't just pulling them from git
yourself (an option you of-course have with vanilla too).

The config items in the gentoo-sources are really just master switches
to turn on everything needed by openrc/systemd/etc - they're
conveniences just like meta-packages in portage.

Now, gentoo-sources DOES include additional patches, and some of them
are features.  It is of course entirely possible that they could cause
problems, but I imagine that they're selected fairly carefully.

The general philosophy mixed with some very dated info can be found at:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/

--
Rich