On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:30:52 -0500
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:45 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Is there a way to have default config lines that emerge updates
> > won't touch?
> >

> I'd be interested in hearing about alternatives, but I switched to
> cfg-update from dispatch-conf and such because it does automatic 3-way
> merging.  It is pretty good about detecting stuff that you customized
> and auto-merging those lines as long as the upstream file doesn't
> change.  If it does, then you get a 3-way merge in meld or another
> tool to do the merge.  95% of the time it just automerges all config
> file updates without any interaction.

dispatch-conf does automatic 3-way merge too, I guess.  At least it
offers me pre-merged file (that I have modified) from time to time
which I can just confirm (right there in the console).  But somehow it
does that less often than I think it could and most of the time offers
me just diffs.  Although it is not that bad since there is not much of
them (it does lot of full automatic merges without even asking for
confirmation), there are some files for which I get diffs over and over
again.  sshd_config is one of them, same as the OP.

Robert

--
Róbert Čerňanský
E-mail: ope...@tightmail.com