Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 23 Jan 2015 21:30:07 -0500
> schrieb Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org>:

> > > I was using that, but it didn't do any automatic 3-way merge for me, I
> > > do everything from a text console.  I am now using etc-update which is
> > > not too bad.
> >
> > I'd have to take another look, but I don't think the automatic merge
> > works unless you're using a 3-way diff tool, and I think those are all
> > X11.
>
> The man page to cfg-update says that it needs diff3 for the automatic
> three-way
> merge (STAGE2), which is part of diffutils.  Interestingly, cfg-update does
> not
> depend on diffutils, so maybe you (Covici) just need to install it?
>
> And for manual three-way merges (STAGE3) there are, at the very least, Vim and
> Emacs.

I found that cfg-update rarely did its automatic merge (I do have
diffutils) and so there was nothing to be gained between cfg-update and
etc-update which seemed better as long as you were not relying on
automatic merge.  It seemed to only do it on comments, but I can't say
that was always true.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici