On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> The man page to cfg-update says that it needs diff3 for the automatic
>> three-way
>> merge (STAGE2), which is part of diffutils.  Interestingly, cfg-update does
>> not
>> depend on diffutils, so maybe you (Covici) just need to install it?
>>
>> And for manual three-way merges (STAGE3) there are, at the very least, Vim
>> and
>> Emacs.
>
> I found that cfg-update rarely did its automatic merge (I do have
> diffutils) and so there was nothing to be gained between cfg-update and
> etc-update which seemed better as long as you were not relying on
> automatic merge.  It seemed to only do it on comments, but I can't say
> that was always true.

This might be as simple as a missing dependency.  I'd be interested in
more testing feedback in this area, and I might set up a container to
test this more myself.

I find that cfg-update correctly auto-merges config files probably 95%
of the time.  I'd happily keep it in portage if I were the only person
using it as a result. :)  However, if there are bugs preventing use by
others they ought to be fixed.

--
Rich