Hello, Rich.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 11:37:00AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Marc Stürmer <m...@marc-stuermer.de> wrote:
> > Am 22.01.2015 um 19:06 schrieb Tom H:

> >> Sure. My point was that anyone can claim that systemd is (un)popular
> >> in the embedded space.

> > I don't know if it is popular; in embedded systems though the last thing you
> > need are fast moving targets IMHO, you want to use proven, reliable tools.

> > If systemd is reliable or not, this depends on your decision, but it is a
> > fast moving target.

> Do you regularly update the software on your embedded system?
> systemd-183 hasn't changed a bit since the day it was released.

systemd-183's velocity is unchanged from the day it was released, and it
isn't slow.

> The fast-moving target bit is only an issue if you want to keep
> updating it.

Quite the contrary - the fast-moving bit is an issue if you _can't_
update it, or if updating is expensive, which is frequently the case for
embedded systems.  Fast-moving software is likelier to be buggy than well
established traditional software.

> That said, systemd doesn't change THAT much between versions as far as
> the key interfaces go.

But busybox changes even less.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).