Well I have carried out the procedure outlined in your message, but I have had
some problems.
When booting the new disc it always failed with a reiserfs problem (I once
rebuilt the tree), after 3 attempts I still had errors so I formated the
partition with ext2, copied all the files and rebooted.  IT WORKED.

The only error I have detected is during boot I get a warning "unable to open
an initial console", the screen freezes until x is started.
This doesn't seem to be a big problem but I would like to fix it -- any
ideas????

thanks for all who helped
Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux