I installed jack (jack-audio-connection-kit), and configured it, as
far as I can tell, correctly.  At least I can get multiple audio
streams multiplexed together.

However, the performance leaves something to be desired: it is
*extremely* prone to skipping, if my system is under any kind of
load.  For example, doing an "emerge search <package>" will usually
cause my XMMS playback to skip.  *Moving a window* will almost
always cause a skip---not just skip, but freeze for the whole time
the window is being moved.  Even worse, whenever the screensaver
comes on, the player skips.  And while the screensaver is active,
the music playback will regularly skip every couple seconds.  The
kicker?  My screensaver is just a blank screen!

I'd like to think that my system is powerful enough to do "normal"
desktop use without skipping: Athlon XP 2500, 1 GB RAM.

Any thoughts as to why the jack performance is so shoddy?

Thanks!
Matt

--
Matt Garman