On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 16:34:32 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> Agreed. But we can (maybe eventually) offer more frequent live versions
> of gentoo, in a canned dvd(w/persistence) so that folks can test-drive
> gentoo, add a few packages and get comfortable before undertaking that
> long and winding manual install road?

That's what Gentoo did years ago. You could download a DVD with prebuilt
binary packages. It meant you could follow the handbook, but without
changing use flags from the default profiles for that DVD, and get a
running system in no time. I remember installing Gentoo on a PPC iBook
about 10 years ago and it took an hour from booting the live DVD to
having a working KDE desktop. Then I could tweak my USE flags and
re-emerge stuff while the system was already usable.

That for stopped for the traditional reason, lack of manpower, IIRC.

> All it would take...

What it takes is someone to step up and offer to do the work.

--
Neil Bothwick

Did you hear about the blind prostitute? You have to hand it to her.