Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > > That's what Gentoo did years ago. You could download a DVD with
> > > prebuilt binary packages. It meant you could follow the handbook, but
> > > without changing use flags from the default profiles for that DVD,
> > > and get a running system in no time.
> > Wasn't that the GRP option?

> That was it, I couldn't remember the name.

Hmmmm (GRP option),

Can anyone dig out a link to that install medium? I'm unable to find it.
I have lots of old i(3/4/5/6_86 gear I can revisit such old installs:: and
Sven has archived many old portage trees, if I can find that link. It might
just be fun to do one of those old installs and an old installer.

My current (active) oldest install is vintage 2007/2008... I do not upgrade
it, I keep it around for nostalgic reasons....

Curiously, is that the same installation semantic that Pentoo
 currently uses with it's pentoo installer? [1]   (ZeroChaos)

James

[1] https://code.google.com/p/pentoo/wiki/PentooInstaller