On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 28 Aug 2015 18:26:12 Rich Freeman wrote:
>> >
>> > Tested as user :
>> >   690: ~> git whatchanged /usr/portage/sys-libs/ncurses > tmp/log.txt
>> >   fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
>> >   Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not
>> >   set).
>>
>> You're probably not using git to fetch your portage tree.
>>
>> cat /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
>> [DEFAULT]
>> main-repo = gentoo
>>
>> [gentoo]
>> location = /usr/portage
>> sync-type = git
>> sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
>> auto-sync = yes
>>
>> Fix that and you'll be fine.  Be aware that you're not going to have
>> any changelogs once you do this.  I'm not certain but you might have
>> to delete /usr/portage first - I have no idea how it handles existing
>> files.
>
> Just to make sure, for the rest us there's no need to change the current rsync
> mechanism, yes?  Otherwise we would see some enotice popping up?

There is no requirement to sync using git.  If there were you'd have
gotten more news about it.

The current plan is to re-introduce changelogs.  I couldn't tell you
when this will happen, but it probably won't take terribly long.

Those who wish to use git can do so, and I'd encourage people to try.
It really does have a lot of advantages.  Oh, and it makes it really
easy to contribute patches/etc (just edit whatever you want in
/usr/portage and type git diff).

There really isn't any intent to cause people headaches, but please do
realize that there aren't a lot of people doing the work, especially
for big changes like this.  There were a million big things that could
go wrong with the migration and a few of the more serious ones
actually did go wrong, so there wasn't as much time for dealing with
stuff like this.

And in terms of user-impacting issues this ncurses foul-up was
probably the biggest issue I've seen hit the stable tree in a year or
two, and compared to some things I dealt with on Gentoo 10 years ago
it was pretty minor.  I'm actually impressed how stable is considering
we don't have as many bodies as we did back then.  When these sorts of
things come up your best bet is to just hold off on updating and
re-sync in a day or two, and by all means file a bug or take it to the
lists.

--
Rich