Am 17.10.2015 um 18:22 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> Update: I see at least the latest nvidia-drivers (358.09) includes
> nvidia-settings. If that driver supports your hardware, you can unmerge
> nvidia-settings, put nvidia-drivers back in world and the whole problem
> goes away

Unfortunately it doesn't go away, because the packages in question are
pulling in media-video/nvidia-settings directly as their dependency. I
would call this a bug due to changes made by upstream. The dependency in
those ebuilds need to be changed to have x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
being installed with USE="tools" instead of pulling in
media-video/nvidia-settings.