On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 02:20:43AM -0500, waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote
>   I've successfully manually compiled Pale Moon (a Firefox fork), but it
> doesn't play h264 files.  Apparently, I have to enable gstreamer for
> that.  OK, I did it.  This time the build fails with...
>
> configure:20206: checking for gstreamer-0.10 >= 0.10.25
>                       gstreamer-app-0.10
>                       gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10
> *** Fix above errors and then restart with         "make -f client.mk build"
>
>   I built libgstreamer and the base plugins package.  It still fails.
> I can't find which package provides gstreamer-app.  Searching Google
> reveals that a lot of other people have the same problem.
> http://www.portagefilelist.de/ doesn't have any results.  Any ideas?

  That error message is rather cryptic.  Apparently, it means that it
needs specifically the 0.10-X series.  Searching through old threads in
the Pale Moon support forum revealed that there are "major issues" with
gstreamer-1.X support, so the build only supports the 0.10-X series of
gstreamer and plugins.  This is also a problem in Firefox, from which
Pale Moon is forked.  Fortunately, there are still 0.10-X series ebuilds
in the tree.  Just to be safe, I set up a local overlay with only the
0.10-X series versions of media-libs/

gst-plugins-bad
gst-plugins-base
gst-plugins-good
gst-plugins-ugly
gst-rtsp-server
gstreamer

  I unmerged the version 1.X gstreamer and plugins, masked out >= 0.11
versions and emerged gst-plugins-base, which also pulled in gstreamer.
The Pale Moon build is churning along now, and I'll find out in a couple
of hours how it works with h264.  The web site...
http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html has h264, webm, and
ogg/theora test videos.  I currently have webm and ogg/theora working.
The gstreamer-enabled build will hopefully also run the h264 video.
This will also be useful for Youtube in HTML5 mode.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>