On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 06:32:48PM -0500, Jonathan Callen wrote

> > I unmerged the version 1.X gstreamer and plugins, masked out >=
> > 0.11 versions and emerged gst-plugins-base, which also pulled in
> > gstreamer. The Pale Moon build is churning along now, and I'll find
> > out in a couple of hours how it works with h264.  The web site...
> > http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html has h264, webm,
> > and ogg/theora test videos.  I currently have webm and ogg/theora
> > working. The gstreamer-enabled build will hopefully also run the
> > h264 video. This will also be useful for Youtube in HTML5 mode.

  Success.  After a bit of experimenting I've gotten h.264 working at
the quirksmode website, and on Youtube.  Pale Moon browser requires...

    gstreamer
    gst-plugins-base
    gst-plugins-good
    gst-plugins-ffmpeg

  A confusing item is that gst-plugins-base and gst-plugins-good are in
media-libs/ but gst-plugins-ffmpeg and 77 others are in media-plugins/
Go figure.

> There is no need to remove the 1.x version of gstreamer (unless you
> just don't need it anymore).  The 0.8, 0.10, and 1.x branches of
> gstreamer are each slotted (well, the ancient 0.8 release is gone from
> the tree as nothing uses it any more) specifically so that they can be
> installed in parallel, and upstream actually supports doing so (which
> is why the ABI version number is in the name of every library, plugin
> directory, and executable).

  Nothing on my system requires 1.X and I prefer a lean system.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>