On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 9:24 PM, <the...@sys-concept.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2015 12:10 PM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > I just upgraded one of my systems and upon boot there is no network:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
> > * Mounting local filesystems ...
> > mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist
> > * Some local filesystem failed to start
> > ERROR: localmount failed to start
> > ERROR: cannot start net.eth0 as localmount would not start
> >
> > rc-status sysinit
> > sysfs   [  started  ]
> > dmesg   [  started  ]
> > devfs  [  started  ]
> > tmpfiles.dev  [  started  ]
> > udev   [  started
> >

> > I can not even ssh to the system as network is not working.
> > What to check next?
> >
> It seems I'm not the only one:
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1034770-highlight-localmount.html
>
> "The problem was openrc-0.18.4. When I downgraded to openrc-0.16.4 the
> problem went away."
>
> Now, I can not downgrade without eth0 working.
> Do I need to boot strap and downgrade or is there is easier solution?
>
> --
> Thelma

Here is a news item that explains the situation.

2015-10-07-openrc-0-18-localmount-and-netmount-changes
  Title                     OpenRC-0.18 localmount and netmount changes
  Author                    William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org>
  Posted                    2015-10-07
  Revision                  1

The behaviour of localmount and netmount is changing on Linux systems.
In the past, these services always started successfully. However, now they
will fail if a file system they attempt to mount cannot be mounted.

If you have file systems listed in fstab which should not be mounted at
boot time, make sure to add noauto to the mount options. If you have
file systems that you want to attempt to mount at boot time but failure
should be allowed, add nofail to the mount options for these file
systems in fstab.