>Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 01:25:14 -0500, Dale wrote:
>>
>>> [I--] [??] www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.635:0
>>> [IP-] [  ] www-plugins/adobe-flash-23.0.0.205:22
>>
>>> Don't ask me
>>> how two versions can be installed at the same time tho.  I dunno.  I
>>> don't think it is supposed to do that for this package tho.
>> They are in different slots, notice the slot number at the end of the
>> atom, slot 0 for the older one and slot 22 for the newer one.
>>
>> You clearly don't have the older slot in @world or it would have been
>> updated, the only slot 0 version in the tree is 11.2.202.643 so I would
>> have expected depclean to remove this if it were no longer needed.
>>

>That explains it.  I didn't even think about the slots.  I wasn't
>expecting it I guess.  I just wonder how long I been using that old
>package instead of the new one.

To reiterate:
If you are using firefox and friends and relations, eg. seamonkey,
then you *need* to explictly emerge adobe-flash:0 so that it gets added
to your @world set.

If you are using chromium
then you should explicitly emerge adobe-flash:22

Unless you are on amd_64 architcture and want to dig into installing the
freshplayerplugin firefox cannot use and will not recognize the flash
plugin provided by adobe-flash:22.

flash is a soft runtime dependency of firefox. Portage  does not seem to
track the dependencies.

If you originally installed adobe-flash prior to the recent slotting
it will be in your world set as just adobe-flash.
Portage will diligently update this to the latest version as it comes along.
They will be the slot 22 versions. It does not automatically remove the
slot:0.
So firefox will use the aging slot:0 version resulting in the pesky warnings.
If you do a depclean emerge will remove the slot 0 version as unneeded which
leaves a firefox user with no flash.

See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

Last, but not least, all of the above statements are likely to become
false in the forseeable future due to the fact that Adobe has changed its
mind about how it supports flash on Linux and Gentoo will have to change its
packaging in some way.

>At least I got rid of that pesky warning on every single video I tried
>to watch.  That thing is annoying, which I guess is the point.

Yes, and deservedly so.

DaveF