On 12/18/2016 07:16 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thankfully the kernel seems to have sane management; as long as Linus is
>> around, anyway. Just recently AMD had some of their code rejected, so
>> with a vigilant-enough team, you can effectively protect your project
>> from monied interests (be it poor code or an attempt to manipulate). Now
>> picture what might have happened if AMD was employing Linus or had some
>> other sort of contract. (For the record, I use an AMD CPU and like it;
>> they just happened to be the most recent corporation who's rejected code
>> popped on my radar. No bias intended.)
>>

> I think this is an oversimplification of the issues involved in the
> AMD situation, which as with so many of these things people just
> jumped on picking sides.  And I think what has gotten lost is an issue
> that actually comes up somewhat often in FOSS.
>
> [snip]

Thanks for sharing more details about what happened, but those details
were irrelevant to the point I was making. I focused on the fact it was
rejected, despite being corporate code. The reasoning, in this
conversation, isn't important. It was an example of a project (the
kernel) that focuses more on quality than on the economic origin of the
code. That's it, no subtext.
--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net