Jorge Almeida wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 05:35:09 -0600, Dale wrote:
>>
>>> app-admin/checkrestart-0.47-r3 (/usr/sbin/checkrestart)
>> There's also needrestart that is a little more intelligent, can
> Dale and Neil, thanks for the hints. I'll take a look at checkrestart.
> The man page in
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/checkrestart.1.html
> doesn't say much about what it does, though, and I can't read
> python...
>
> It would be great a program that goes through all processes  and
> checks for  old libraries in use. If the program assumes a particular
> setup ( sysv/ systemd or even supporting both) then it will not be
> useful for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jorge

Checkrestart lists what services or programs are using outdated files
after a upgrade.  As a example, you upgrade udev and have not rebooted
or restarted udev, checkrestart will list that udev is using the older
version of files.  After you restart udev and it is using the new files,
it will no longer list udev.  Another example, you upgrade flash,
Firefox or even a package for KDE, if you haven't restarted those, it
will list them as using old versions and that they need to be
restarted.  Sometimes it requires logging out, sometimes just closing
and then opening the program again.  This may or may not help with your
remounting problem.

I did use needrestart after a recent update.  One thing I like, it asks
if you want to restart some of the services and gives you the option of
restarting them, skipping etc.  You don't have to go do it by hand that
way.  It seems to work pretty well but I need to get used to how it
works.  It is different from checkrestart.  I might add, I also used
checkrestart afterwards and it seemed to pick up a couple things
needrestart didn't.  I'm not yet sure what the deal is on that.

I'd try them both and then either pick one that does what you want or
use them both.

Oh, I am pretty sure checkrestart uses lsof to do its thing.
Needrestart pulled in some other packages.  Based on that, I'd suspect
needrestart uses different tools than checkrestart.  Given that, even
tho they do similar things, they do it differently. it seems.

Linkys:

https://linux-audit.com/determine-processes-which-need-a-restart-with-checkrestart-needrestart/

https://scottlinux.com/2014/08/13/important-use-checkrestart-on-debian-after-installing-security-updates/

Hope that helps.