Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:26:37 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> I did use needrestart after a recent update.  One thing I like, it asks
>> if you want to restart some of the services and gives you the option of
>> restarting them, skipping etc.  You don't have to go do it by hand that
>> way.
> It also has intelligent defaults, such as not suggesting restarting
> services that would cause a problem, like your display manager or logind.
>
> It can operate interactively like this, or you can ask it to simply list
> the services it needs to restart.
>> It seems to work pretty well but I need to get used to how it
>> works.  It is different from checkrestart.  I might add, I also used
>> checkrestart afterwards and it seemed to pick up a couple things
>> needrestart didn't.  I'm not yet sure what the deal is on that.
> I found that too. As needrestart is nicer to use, I run that first then
> checkrestart after if I feel like it. One difference is that needrestart
> doesn't list all the user processes that can only be restarted by logging
> out of the desktop.

I've used it twice now.  It has some features I like, such as restarting
services and such, but some things I'm still scratching my head about.
It's something I'm not familiar with yet and need to get used to.
Still, I end up using both and sort of merging them in my head.  Some
claim there is plenty of room up there for merging.  ROFL

Hopefully over time I'll get used to this thing plus I'm sure some
Gentoo geek will improve the thing, then I get to start all over again.
o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)