Wes Gray wrote:
> My 3-year old gentoo system has decided to be a big headache.  My
> troubles started when I upgraded to kde 3.4.

Upgrading from which version precisely?

What is the full output of 'ls -l ~/.kde*' ?

And of 'grep kde /var/lib/portage/world | sort' ?

And of 'grep kde /etc/env.d/*' ?

> The kde taskbar apps wouldn't start.

Does Konqueror work?  KMail?  KWrite?  Konsole?
The Control Center?  The Menu Editor?  Do most things work?

Looking back at your other emails...  Are you keeping the rest of
your system up-to-date?  What does 'emerge -Dup world' say (after a
sync)?  Do you still have an old python-2.2* installed?  What says
'eix -e python'?  (If you don't have eix installed, first do
'emerge eix; update-eix'.)  What says 'emerge -p --depclean'?  Does
revdep-rebuild now run without problems?

(And please don't tell us to trust you, we're just asking questions,
as you're not being very specific.)

Benno