Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Floyd Anderson <f...@xmail.net> wrote:
>> That’s why Gentoo is often regarded as the freedom of choice.
> This includes the freedom to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> I suggest that new users consider going with the defaults except when
> they have a reason not to.
>
> Sure, we can all pass around our make.conf files, and people can just
> blindly copy what we're using.  In a sense this is also stick with the
> "defaults" - just somebody else's choice of defaults.
>
> The difference is that if you don't do this then you're getting the
> defaults the maintainer thought best, and the settings that get the
> widest extent of testing.  If you run into a problem, you're probably
> close to the upstream configuration, which means both upstream and the
> maintainer are probably going to be willing to lend you a hand.
> You're also closer to the settings used by other distros, which means
> their own documentation will help you.
>
> Stick with the profile defaults to start.  By all means tweak
> something if you have a reason to, but make these conscious informed
> decisions.  Keep things simple.
>
> When you start out with a very complex USE configuration on a distro
> you're new to, then you're going to struggle a lot to deal with the
> resulting issues.
>
> In terms of profiles themselves, hardened isn't the friendliest place
> to start.  It tends to get used in server environments, and I suspect
> very few run a desktop environment in a hardened environment.  I'd
> suggest chatting with others who run hardened to understand its
> limitations.  I've been running Gentoo for a very long time now and I
> wouldn't expect to do a hardened desktop install and get through it
> without a bit of troubleshooting.

Shooting oneself in the foot could be that USE="-* <insert flag>
option.  Talk about being brave.  lol

As a somewhat seasoned Gentoo user, when I built this new rig, I had to
add USE flags slowly.  As a test, I tried copying my USE flags over from
the old install.  When I did a emerge -uvaDN system, it puked all over
my keyboard.  I recall having blockers that emerge couldn't resolve.
There were some other issues as well.  I went back to defaults and added
them slowly.  That worked well.

I've read about hardened.  I've always wanted to play with it but I'd
want a separate puter to play with that on.  I've also wondered if it
would even benefit me at all.

Dale

:-)  :-)