On Sunday 05 Feb 2017 01:44:30 Dale wrote:
> the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > I change in make.conf to:
> > USE="bindist"
> >
> > and I was able to install basic system correctly, network is working and I
> > can proceed with castomazation but my next question: What is the correct
> > way to configure "USE=" in make.conf?
[snip...]

> If I have a flag that I want enabled/disabled on basically
> everything that uses that flag, it goes in make.conf.  If I have a USE
> flag that I may need for just a few packages, or a single package, I put
> it in package.use.

Yes, this is pretty much the case.  System wide USE flags go in make.conf.
Package specific USE flags *which do not apply system wide* go in package.use.

> As a example.  The kde USE flag.  Since I run mostly
> KDE and want any packages I build to work with KDE, it goes in
> make.conf.

Errm ... not exactly.

If one uses KDE (it's called Plasma these days) then the way to set up system
wide KDE USE flags is to select the corresponding profile.  This will set up
the correct USE flags and help install all necessary dependencies (e.g. Qt,
dbus, polkit, etc.).  The way to do this is to use 'eselect profile list' and
set the desired profile from those listed.  This will set a symlink from your
make.profile to the required /usr/portage/profiles/default/ selection of USE
flags.

Afterwards, have a look in the USE flags shown when you run 'emerge --info' to
find out what your OS is using in an emerge.  If you want something set up
globally to cater e.g. for your hardware, which is not shown in 'emerge --
info', you can set it in make.conf.  This will avoid polluting your make.conf
with duplicate USE flags which are already set by your make.profile.

While talking about hardware, you may want to consider installing and running:

 app-portage/cpuid2cpuflags

It will give a list specific to the instruction set of your CPU which you
should add in CPU_FLAGS_X86=  in your make.conf

Finally, have a quick read here where it explains how to interpret the output
of emerge messages regarding USE flags and how to differentiate between local,
global and conflicting USE flags:

 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/index.html

HTH
--