Am Sun, 14 May 2017 09:52:41 +0100
schrieb Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>:

> On Saturday 13 May 2017 23:58:17 R0b0t1 wrote:
> > I had some problems setting up OpenVPN that were solved by using
> > per-client public keys. That seems to be the best supported
> > configuration (as well as the most secure). Windows-side using
> > OpenVPN-GUI is very easy.
> >
> > OpenVPN tends to have poor bandwidth due to overhead, but that may
> > be in large part due to my connection.
>
> OpenVPN is not the most efficient VPN implementation for connections
> to a server because it is not multithreaded

Probably true but it works well here for connections of up to 100 MBit.

> and also because unlike
> IKE/IPSec it operates in userspace, not in kernelspace.

IPsec also doesn't work without help from userspace processes. But I
see what you mean: With OpenVPN, traffic bounces between kernel and
userspace multiple times before leaving the machine. But I don't really
see that as a problem for the scenario OpenVPN is used in: It best fits
with dial-up connections which are really not gigabit yet. For this,
performance overhead is almost zero.

>  If you have
> more than one client connecting to the server at the same time you
> will need to set up multiple instances with different ports or
> different protocols.

That is not true: We connect many clients to the same server port
without problems, each with their own certificate.

>  With IKE/IPSec you don't.  MSWindows PCs come
> with IKEv2 natively so they can be configured to use it without
> installing additional client applications.

IPsec can be a big pita if NAT is involved. For Windows client, L2TP
may be a good alternative.

>  [...]
> > >
> > > The ftp server already doesn't allow unencrypted connections.
> > >
> > > Now try to explain to ppl for whom Filezilla is too complicated
> > > how to set up a VPN connection and how to secure their LAN once
> > > they create the connection (if we could ever get that to work).
> > > I haven't been able to figure that out myself, and that is one of
> > > the main reasons why I do not have a VPN connection but use ssh
> > > instead.  The only disadvantage is that I can't do RDP sessions
> > > with that ---  I probably could and just don't know how to ---
> > > but things might be a lot easier if wireguard works.
>
> If the users are helpless then you may be better configuring a VPN
> tunnel between their Internet gateway and the server, so they can
> access the server as if it were a local share, or using the built in
> ftp client that MSWindows comes with.  SMB will work securely in this
> case too.

This is what I would recommend, too. Put the VPN endpoints on the
network edges and no clients needs to worry: They just use the
connection.

>  [...]
> > >
> > > I'm finding it a horrible nightmare, see above.  It is the most
> > > difficult thing you could come up with.  I haven't found any good
> > > documentation that explains it, the different types of it, how it
> > > works, what to use (apparently there are many different ways or
> > > something, some of which require a static IP on both ends, and
> > > they even give you different disadvantages in performance ...),
> > > how to protect the participants and all the complicated stuff
> > > involved.  So far, I've managed to stay away from it, and I
> > > wouldn't know where to start.  Of course, there is some
> > > documentation, but it is all confusing and no good.
> >
> > Feel free to start a thread on it. As above, I recommend
> > one-key-per-client and running your own CA.

I wouldn't recommend running your own CA because you will have to
deploy a trust relationship with every client.

> For secure connections you will have to set up CA and TLS keys with
> any option.  Even ftps - unless the ftp server is already configured
> with its TLS certificates.

Or you use certificates from LetsEncrypt. Their CA is already trusted
on most machines my default.

--
Regards,
Kai