On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 08:23:42AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote
> On 2017-06-16 14:23, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > This is not the first time I've seen somebody mention this "songs and
> > pictures" stuff. I don't understand.  When I use mtpfs to mount my
> > Android devices, a "file-level view" is exactly what I get: I see the
> > device's root directory and everything underneath it the exact same
> > way I would if it were a USB-storage device.
>
> The last time I tried MTP was on Debian maybe 2 years ago or 3 years,
> using the jmtpfs package.  IIRC this was what happened; yes, I could see
> individual files, but only certain types, and only in certain
> directories.

  That package is currently keyworded.  Use sys-fs/simple-mtpfs instead.
It simply works; and it works simply.  From the command line

1) create a working mount directory, e.g. $HOME/tablet

2) attach smartphone/tablet/whatever to USB port

3) sudo simple-mtpfs -o allow_other $HOME/tablet

4) cd $HOME/tablet

5) do whatever

6) cd

7) sudo fusermount -u $HOME/tablet

8) dettach smartphone/tablet/whatever from USB port

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>