On 26/06/2017 05:15, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On June 26, 2017 3:19:49 AM GMT+02:00, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 25/06/2017 09:12 μμ, tu...@posteo.de wrote:
>>> On my Gentoo Linux box I am running Virtualbox and
>>> on that virtual box Linux again.
>>>
>>> When trying to cut text from a terminal or another
>>> text-based apolication and past that into a firefox
>>> running on the virtualized Linux it fails.
>>>
>>> But when I start a firefox on the host system,
>>> cut text from a terminal or another text-based
>>> application and paste that into the URL-field
>>> of the firefox on the host sustem, then cut
>>> it from there and paste it into the firefox
>>> on the viryalized Linux...it works.
>>>
>>> Looks a little weird to me...
>>> Is that an error, which fails to fail completly
>>> or is a half working feature (or do I fail
>>> in both cases ... ;) ?
>>
>> Similar things happen with VMware. It seems that many applications do
>> not set the clipboard contents in a way that VB or VMw can recognize.
>>
>> Never found a solution to this myself.
>
> How do you try to copy/paste?
>
> I find it only works when I explicitly use 'edit->copy' and 'edit->paste'. Or
> CTRL-C and CTRL-V.
>
> In other words, just like in MS Windows.
>
> Selecting text and then pasting using the middle mouse button doesn't work.
>
> It seems these are two different clipboards.

They are indeed two very different clipboards.

Select and paste with middle button is X cut buffers, been around for
years. Any app running on the same X server should be able to do the
right thing with it.

CtrlC/CtrlV is a whole different animal, and that's the one
VirtualBox/VMWare et al support.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com