I keep control of my USE flags, lets say, "manually". Of course, at
install time you get a couple of defaults just to make sure you don't
miss anything crucial. After that, every package goes trough an emerge
-pv, its USE flags set at packages.use, I compile it. Of course, its
tedious, its slow, but it gives me full control over my system, and I
feel good with all the customized settings.

Eventually a good flag goes to make.conf, but that's rare, most of
them are specific for some packages.

On 10/14/05, Manuel McLure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
> > You could edit /etc/make.profile if you liked, I suppose, but Portage
> > will update it at one or more various points anyway, and then where are you?
>
> One question for those with more USE flag-fu than I have - does the
> default set of USE flags depend on the packages that have been installed
> into world? It seems to me that at some point I have installed a package
> (for example postgresql) and suddenly found that the next "emerge
> --newuse world" spits out a list of packages it will rebuild with a new
> flag.
>
> --
> Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.mclure.org>
> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
> --

Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil