On 18/12/17 13:56, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 12/17/2017 09:05 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
Hello list,

I've been running Linux systems since 1994, calling my private LAN mynet
(bowdlerised). Now I come to install neth server on one machine, it insists
that I tell it a domain name with at least two dots in it. But I don't have
a standard TLD.

What do you all call your local LANs? Following Google hints, it looks as
though I may have to change all .mynet references to .mynet.internal.

You should probably buy a TLD. It's stupid, but there are no reserved
top-level domain names for internal use. There used to be four[0],

   * test
   * example
   * invalid
   * localhost

There was no proscribed behavior for those TLDs, so you were free to use
them for your internal network. Then along came rfc6761[1], which tells
people how to treat those four names. In particular,

My router defaults, iirc, to .local. And I thought .home also did the same sort of thing.

See RFCs 7788 for .home, and 8244 for .local

It seems to me that 7788 defines .home, although it appears it did not do it properly.

I think .local was correctly added to 6761, so that domain CAN be used as your private network's TLD.

Cheers,
Wol