Adam Carter wrote:

>     I have to confess, I set most of this as defaults in make.conf.  The
>     most often commands I use, eix-sync and emerge -uaDN world.
>     Everything
>     else is in make.conf.  Listy for those who may be curious.
>
>     EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going
>     -v -j5
>     --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
>
>     FEATURES="-usersync userpriv usersandbox buildpkg sandbox
>     parallel-fetch"
>
>     Each of those were added as I noticed I needed them more often than
>     not.  The backtrack option started out at 50 but sometimes that wasn't
>     enough so I increased it to 100.  That has worked well so far.  The
>     --oneshot, (-1), option was to keep unneeded things from being
>     added to
>     my world file.  Each option has some reason for being there.
>

> Won't the -1 mean that --depclean will remove packages that you want?

If I emerge something and want to keep around, I use the --select y
option which overrides the -1 option in make.conf.  Sometimes I install
something, play with it and don't like it and then let --depclean remove
it.  If I emerge something and like it, I can use --select y -n to add
it to world, without compiling it again.

The key thing, remembering to force it to be added to world, which is a
lot easier than remembering to use -1 for ALL those things I don't want
in the world file.  Before I added the -1 option, my world file was full
of all sorts of things that have no business being there at all.  It was
causing huge problems with upgrades and such.

I just use what works for me.  Some may not like doing it this way but
some might.

Dale

:-)  :-)