On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 11:36:23 +0000, Mick wrote:

> With each job taking up to 1.2G of RAM you can quickly exhaust
> available memory on older PCs and swapping can start grinding the box
> to a halt.  Since the move to profile 17.0 I found my old laptop comes
> to its knees on compiling larger packages like Chromium.  If you also
> find swapping starts thrashing your drive and emerge moves nowhere fast
> as it becomes I/O bound, you should consider reducing the number of
> jobs with MAKEOPTS="-jX" where X is a lesser number than previously
> used and also reducing the --load-average to a low(er) number.

I have 8GB in this laptop (not expandable) and Chromium is currently
swapping away with -j4. With -j2 it didn't so I'll try -j3 next time.

You can set it on a per package basis:

% cat /etc/portage/package.env/chromium
www-client/chromium disk-tmpdir.conf j3.conf

% cat /etc/portage/env/j3.conf
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

% cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"

The last one is needed because TMPDIR is on a tmpfs normally.

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't suceed, try the switch marked "Power"