On Thu, 2018-01-25 at 01:16 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> One user wants Gnome, the other wants Plasma. Is this doable?
>
> Currently, Plasma is installed, and the profile is:
>
>    default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
>
> The profiles seem to be either-or. There's one for plasma, one for
> gnome. But I need both now :-/

They just provide ease of installation by enabling some USE flags
globally or per-package for you, to avoid having to add them manually
on a fresh install or so.

You can create a local mix-in by having /etc/portage/make.profile as a
directory with an eapi and parent file, but that has some caveats, so
given that I leave the details to find out elsewhere when desired.
Or you can just use one and add the stuff for the other manually,
verbatim or as-needed.
What they do can be seen in
profiles/targets/desktop/gnome
profiles/targets/desktop/plasma
subdirectories of your PORTDIR (probably /usr/portage/)

The global USE flags each adds are in make.defaults file and the per-
package USE flag tweaks are in package.use files.

So you could for example keep using the systemd plasma profile, add the
global USE flags from
/usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/gnome/make.defaults to your
make.conf and symlink
/usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/gnome/package.use to a gnome.use
file under /etc/portage/package.use/ directory or so and voilà, you got
effectively both.