Am Thu, 08 Feb 2018 19:02:10 -0500 schrieb Rich Freeman:

> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Wol's lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> /var/tmp is defined as the place where programs store stuff like crash
>> recovery files. Mounting it tmpfs is going to screw up any programs
>> that reply on that *defined* behaviour to recover after a crash.
>>

> Care to cite an example of such a program in the Gentoo repo?  I
> certainly can't think of any, and I've been running with /var/tmp on
> tmpfs for over a decade.
>
> /var/cache strikes me as a much better place for some kind of recovery
> file.  While /var/tmp is typically less volatile than /tmp, it isn't
> really something that software should just rely on.

I don't think that /var/cache is a better choice here. Cache directories
should be treated as data that could be rebuilt at ANY time. That's
certainly not true for crash dump files. They simply don't belong there.

Thus, crash dumps should go to non-volatile directories like /var/tmp.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.