Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 11:27:39 BST Dale wrote:
>> R0b0t1 wrote:

>>> Do you mean /usr/portage/distfiles?
>>>
>>> Can we stop using Oracle's JVM?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>>      R0b0t1
>> I think that is where they were talking about moving it from.  At one
>> point, they were discussing putting it in /var somewhere.  Maybe they
>> decided not to move it at all.  I seem to recall there being a quite
>> active and lengthy thread about it on -dev but that was years ago.  I
>> don't think my archives go back that far.
>>
>> Oh well.  I was just curious.  Mine is in /var/cache/portage/.  At the
>> time, that I think had the most support.  Either way, it works for me
>> and it can be put pretty much anywhere sensible.
> Especially if you have separate partitions, as I do. Portage, packages and
> distfiles can be mounted anywhere with simple changes to fstab and make.conf.
> That makes the debates over what should live where somewhat moot.

Exactly.  At some point I needed to move it because packages was taking
up a lot of drive space.  I don't think I was using LVM back then.  I
did have a good size /var partition tho so it fit nicely there.  I keep
binaries of everything just in case something bad happens and I need to
large and tend to get larger with each upgrade.  Once a partition gets
to about 80% or so full, I start making plans to make them larger.  I
used to have to boot a DVD/USB stick and have a spare hard drive to do
that but LVM makes that easier.  Everyone doesn't have that option tho.

Sometimes I wish I had elephant memory but then again, I may not like
that either.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)