* Neil Bothwick:

> That's because ~ doesn't mean unstable, it means testing. Stable in
> this context means less likely to change, not less likely to fall
> over. Plus the differentiation is for the ebuilds, not the software
> itself.

It is also worth mentioning that ebuilds cannot be added to the tree
with "stable" flags, at least not by unprivileged contributors such as
myself.

If, for example, there is an upstream bugfix release, I will copy my
existing ebuild because neither build process nor dependencies have
changed one bit, but I am required to change keywords to unstable
anyway.

Switching to stable would require a second pull request after at least a
month has passed, and many contributors just don't bother with that.

-Ralph