On 12/9/18 7:38 PM, Dale wrote:
Just making sense of it. Trying to get it firmly in my mind. It just seems to simple and easy to move that much data around and swap drives even while in use. o-O

Welcome to the wonders of LVM.

You turn a drive / partition into something that LVM can use. Then you add said drive to an existing Volume Group. Then you tell LVM to vacate the old physical drive. Then you remove the old physical drive from the Volume Group. Finally you should clean the LVM metadata from the drive, but that's not strictly required.

Similar could be said about upgrading / trading bookshelves too.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what drive will go where. On one hand, I thought about having a single drive, 8TB, to store it all on. On the other, I thought of replacing one of the two 3TB drives with a 6TB drive. That will give me roughly 9TBs of storage. Later on, I could replace the other 3TB drive with another 6TB drive and then have 12TBs. Then I'd have to rethink my backup method. If I use the second method, I can use the 8TB drive for backups since I don't backup everything. Right now, I'm planning to do the second method. I think long term, it will work best plus I will have a spare drive if needed.

*nod*

Figuring out what you want to do can be more challenging than figuring out how to do it.

I started another thread about encryption stuff. The reply you posted tho is really helpful because it lists the commands all in one spot. Most howtos have them spread all over the place and it makes it harder for me to get what is going on, even if it is being explained a bit in between the commands. Sometimes, it just depends on how things hit me thinking wise. ;-)

I get it.

I'll be writing those commands down before I do the change over.

:-)