On 2020-01-13 23:42, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:37:11 +0100, n952162 wrote:

The portage tree is sync'ed to the portage tree mirrors.  A newer fs
snapshot won't include the tree itself, but it will include the new
default fs locations for the portage directory.
Not sure what you mean ... you mean that the portage tree only comes
in with the emerge --sync?

A preliminary copy isn't in the stage3 tarball?
That's correct.

is this happening because I'm not using (the "optional") webrsync?
It happens because the stage 3 doesn't contain a tree. The handbook tells
you to run a sync after unpacking the stage 3 for that reason. webrsync
is just another way of syncing, one that is more efficient than rsync
when starting with an empty tree.

I mean, am I getting these manifest/verification errors because I
haven't used webrsync (apparently not).

Which leaves me in a deadlocked situation.  A fresh install, according
to the instructions, on new hardware, fails.  What should I do?  Does
anyone else have this problem?