> One word: AHA! (It makes a lot of difference, knowing what one is doing!)
> This is the explanation the interface should come with, or at least
> they should have a site with a simple diagram.
>
> Yes, I can hear sound with the headphones connected to the headphone
> out in the interface, as well as with the headphones connected to the
> RCA output, via an amplifier. (I modified .asoundrc to make the USB
> card the default; not a permanent solution but manageable)
>
> I had understood the purpose of the direct monitor, but I thought
> wrongly that the headphone output had no other purpose by itself.
>
> OK, I tried both discord and slack with this setup. I can't hear the
> other side. The other side can hear me on slack, not on discord.

You sound happier in this post. I hope we're making headway. Could you post
back a view of things at this point?

ls /proc/asound
cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/devices
cat /proc/asound/hwdep
cat /proc/asound/pcm

If you run alsamixer what card is it showing you when you first go in?

Not knowing these applications I'm at a distance trying to make suitable
suggestions. I'm fairly sure you won't like the next one...

How do you feel about building Alsa as modules instead of building it into
the kernel? When using modules you can blacklist other sound cards (the MB
audio stuff for instance) and you get a little more visibility into what's
is at least loaded. That way we could, at least as a test, run your setup
as a USB only system. If at that point you can record mix audio in
something like Audacity and play Audacity and Youtube through the Behringer
then, I would think, we would have determined that this is an application
issue.

While it shouldn't matter I assume you tried slack and discord with direct
monitoring turned off and on? I would expect that off is the right way for
an application like these but it makes sense to at least press the button
to see if it changes anything.

I'm really intrigued to see if we can figure this out.

- Mark