On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:16 AM Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You sound happier in this post. I hope we're making headway. Could you post
> back a view of things at this point?

I wouldn't say happy, but at least I got to understand what the
interface does (I was more or less convinced the RCA part was broken!)

> ls /proc/asound
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> cat /proc/asound/devices
> cat /proc/asound/hwdep
> cat /proc/asound/pcm

## ls /proc/asound/
card0  card1  cards  CODEC  devices  hwdep  PCH  pcm  seq  timers  version

## cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7340000 irq 137
 1 [CODEC          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
                      Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC at
usb-0000:00:14.0-10, full speed

## cat /proc/asound/devices
  1:        : sequencer
  2: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
  6: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
  7: [ 0]   : control
  8: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
  9: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
 10: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer

## cat /proc/asound/hwdep

## cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: Generic Analog : Generic Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: Generic Digital : Generic Digital : playback 1
00-02: Generic Alt Analog : Generic Alt Analog : capture 1
00-03: Generic Digital : Generic Digital : playback 1

> If you run alsamixer what card is it showing you when you first go in?
The MB card.

> Not knowing these applications I'm at a distance trying to make suitable
> suggestions. I'm fairly sure you won't like the next one...
>
> How do you feel about building Alsa as modules instead of building it into
> the kernel? When using modules you can blacklist other sound cards (the MB
> audio stuff for instance) and you get a little more visibility into what's is
> at least loaded. That way we could, at least as a test, run your setup as a
> USB only system. If at that point you can record mix audio in something like
> Audacity and play Audacity and Youtube through the Behringer then, I would
> think, we would have determined that this is an application issue.

Will try that, why not? (Tomorrow morning)

> While it shouldn't matter I assume you tried slack and discord with direct
> monitoring turned off and on? I would expect that off is the right way for an
> application like these but it makes sense to at least press the button to see
> if it changes anything.

I tried discord; I heard the sound, the other side didn't.

> I'm really intrigued to see if we can figure this out.

I'm now compiling zoom, after removing the ~amd64 from the ebuild (I
will not have an unstable qt all over my system). We'll see...

Thanks

Jorge