On 2020-05-01 09:18, tu...@posteo.de wrote:
A very *#BIG THANK YOU#* for all the great help, the research and
the solution. I myself am back in "normal mode" :)

Glad it helped!

One thing remains...
I want to prevent this kind of hassle in the future... ;)

The most important thing to keep in mind here is to _always_ partition and format a drive yourself. That way, you know what is on there and how it was partitioned.

Perhaps it is a good idea to re-partitions the disk to get rid of
any bogus bit, format the partition and copy back the data then.

Whilst you can definitely just change the partition type from EE to 83, now that you can move the data around safely, I'd probably repartition the drives fully, yeah.

What is the most reasonable setup here:
GPT without any hybrid magic and ext4 because it is so common?
Any other, possible more robust configuration, which is also
common with rescue tools and -distributions?

For external backup disks like these I'd go with GPT and ext4. Seems to be the most robust configuration for that use case.

If by "hybrid magic" you mean the Protective MBR, that is not something you can simply disable. The standard includes the Protective MBR, and tools adhere to that.

Bottom line: Repartition the disks with GPT, then create the necessary file systems. Don't turn on any special knobs, the tool's defaults are all decent.

--
Wolf