Hello,

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
[.. reordering ..]
>And finally: installed on the same computer legacy operating system
>never had any sound problems.

Ah, oh, so the HW works and you got the speaker connector in the
hole. That's good![1] ;)

>At different times during the last one and a half years, I tried to
>make sound work on my new Gentoo install on a computer with Gigabyte
>GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and MSI ATI Radeon R4770 graphic card.

Ok, that board should be rather closeish to mine (GA-MA770TA-UD3.
Might use a different soundchip though, but those should work
automatically.

[..]
>lspci | grep "Audio"
>00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
>Azalia (Intel HDA)
>01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730
>HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]

Simliar here, but it'd be interesting, what actual device is that
onboard sound, here it's:

$ /sbin/lspci -nn | grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
[plus the HDMI of the video card]

According to the MoBo manual, it's a Realtek ALC888 codec.

>My current kernel configuration is exactly the same as in the
>gentoo-kernel-5.4.64 package as I have not changed anything there.

This works here:

CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
CONFIG_SND_DRIVERS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCI=y

CONFIG_SND_HDA=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_RECONFIG=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CORE=m
CONFIG_SND_SPI=y

Not sure if CONFIG_SND_SPI and CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC are needed, but
the other ones seem crucial.

Oh, the above is for a 4.14 kernel, but has been the same for a looong
time now.

HTH,
-dnh

[1] happend to me a few days ago when I, after a long time again, un-
    and then wrongly replugged the speaker on my MoBo ;)

--
WoKo ist so etwas, wie eine seltsame Schleife. Wenn zwei von ihnen zusammen-
kommen, erklären sie sich gegenseitig für nichtexistent und löschen sich auf