Thelma,

On 11/25/20 9:11 AM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
On 11/25/2020 08:27 AM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
On 11/25/2020 08:23 AM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
I compiled "genkernel all" instead of looking for the correct entry to
boot my M.2 drive.

Not I compiled nvidia-drivers and got a message:

* Messages for package x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-455.28-r1:

  *   CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU:     should not be set. But it is.
  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
  *   CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU:     should not be set. But it is.

Genkernel all doesn't have any .config file.
How to remove them?  Where to get .config for genkernel all?

found it in /etc/genkernel.conf
That was not it. I copied genkernel.conf to /usr/src/linux/.config but
this configuration file is different.
I was looking for CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU in genkernel.conf I couldn't
find it.
genkernel.conf is a configuration file  for genkernel not your kernel configuration. Your mixing two separate things.  You can edit /etc/genkernel.conf and change SAVE_CONFIG="yes" to save your kernel configuration files which is what I do. I same my kernel configuration files in /etc/kernels/ and use the following script...

$ cat /root/bin/genkernel.sh

#!/bin/bash -x

## build kernel with genkernel
genkernel --kernel-config=/etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-$(uname -r) all

## update grub.cfg file
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I also have OLDCONFIG="no" and MENUCONFIG="yes" in /etc/genkernel.conf. Once you invest 20 minutes editing your kernel config, you don't want to have to do it again so saving a working kernel config is a good strategy.

You will find CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU as a kernel config option (make menuconfig for example).
The reason I'm using "genkernel all" as there is some setting missing in
my old .config file that is stop booting my M.2 SSD (are there any
special option in kernel for it?). I'm getting an error:
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block (0, 0)
This means you are missing a kernel configuration option (most likely the one for your disk controller). The fact that its an SSD is not useful.. what the SSD is connected to is . Use lspci to find out what hardware you have in your system.