Hello,

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, antlists wrote:
>On 19/12/2020 16:51, David Haller wrote:
>> Beware: I use a lot of disks and I tried running it with then 8 (or 9?
>> or 10? Lots!) HDDs with a 500W (or even 550W) PSU. System wouldn't
>> reliably boot up. Replaced with a 650W PSU and it's running since
>> (which is, those 10+ years now:)  Currently I have a SSD and 7 HDDs
>> (and 2 DVD[1]);)
>
>Bear in mind I'm talking about a computer the size of a washing machines, and
>an 800MB drive the size of a tower case...
>
>Back in the old days, you could configure the system so the drive would wait
>a certain number of seconds after power-on before actually powering up.
>
>So you'd work out what power you had spare above normal operation to spin up
>your drives, and avoid overloading the system.
>
>That useful feature has probably been lost in the name of progress... :-)

Called "staggered spinup" (or something alike).

In servers, it's still there, but not in run-of-the-mill desktops like
mine... Sadly so in my case, I could and would have used that...

-dnh, the MoBo though is quite a fine piece with 8 SATA + 2 eSATA
    ports onboard :) I'm gonna miss eSATA in newer HW :( Hot-plug
    almost like USB but full SATA feature set and speed (e.g. SMART).

--
It takes a million monkeys at typewriters to write Shakespeare, but
only a dozen monkeys at computers to run Network Solutions.