On 2021-04-06, antlists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> On 06/04/2021 19:30, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
>> On Tue, 2021-04-06 at 19:19 +0100, antlists wrote:
>>> Imap is quite happy with folders. Google let you create folders, IMAP
>>> lets you access them. No problem.
>> Disclaimer: I haven't used Gmail in a few years.
>>
>> Interjection: Gmail does*not*  support folders.  Gmail uses*labels*,
>> which mail clients will treat as folders.
>
> True. But I believe that's a recent change.

No, it's always been that way -- at least for all of my GMail
accounts.

> Google is moving to labels for everything, and it's driving me nuts
> in more ways than one ...
>
> I think of Google as using folders, because not that long ago that's
> exactly what they did.

Everything I've read, and all my experience since I started using mutt
with Gmail many years ago has been that GMail's IMAP server has always
implemented folders using the normal GMAIL label mechanism.

And I've always been perfectly content with that implementation.

--
Grant