On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 10:53:11 PM CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Gentoo.
>
> I'm having problems building rust.
>
> I build everything in a ram disk, and last night my 13 Gb ram disk
> proved too small to build rust in.  So I increased its size to 14 Gb,
> and tried again this evening.  Same result.  The pre-check on the disk
> size gave an OK both times, and both runs lasted about 45 minutes before
> running out of space.
>
> Help!  What am I supposed to do?  I've got 16 Gb RAM (I'm _not_ going to
> use the word "only" here), and wondering just how big a chunk a ram disk
> can take out of that before the machine siezes up altogether.  But if I
> increase the ram disk to 15 Gb, even assuming it'd work, it's only going
> to be a small number of releases before the clever people at rust
> increase their bloat even more.
>
> I know I could plump for the -bin package.  Maybe I should.  But before
> I do that, is it possible to redirect this one ebuild away from
> /var/tmp/portage (my ram disk) without disturbing the other builds?  If
> so, how would I do this (or where should I look for documentation)?
>
> Thanks for the help!

I managed to get it to compile with a 16GB ramdisk using "system-llvm":

$ grep -r rust /etc/portage
/etc/portage/profile/package.use.mask:dev-lang/rust -system-llvm
/etc/portage/package.use/rust:dev-lang/rust system-llvm parallel-compiler

It claims it wants:
Checking for at least 13312 MiB

>From the build-log:

======
 * Final size of build directory: 12344956 KiB ( 11.7 GiB)
 * Final size of installed tree:    366492 KiB (357.9 MiB)

 * The ebuild is installing to one or more unexpected paths:
 *
 *   /usr/share/doc/rust-1.51.0
 *
 * Please fix the ebuild to use correct FHS/Gentoo policy paths.
=======

Hope this helps,

Joost