On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 10:14:46PM +0200, tastytea wrote
> On 2021-09-13 15:59-0400 "Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>
> >   I have a notebook that I haven't updated for a while.  After emerge
> > sync, it said to "emerge -1 portage".  Trying to do so got me the
> > following as listed in the gzipped attachment.  I'd really rather not
> > re-install.  Is there a way to get out of this?
> >

> Looks like some packages want python 3.8 and some python 3.9. If you
> emerge portage with USE="PYTHON_TARGETS: python3_8 -python3_9" first
> and then again normally it might work.

  That didn't quite work.  I did "emerge -1 glibc", which also pulled in
paxutils.  This removed the "deprecated glibc" error.  But still no luck
with emerging portage.

  Following this I ran "emerge -1 binutils".  But still no luck with
emerging portage.

  "emerge -1 dev-python/certifi" got nowhere.  So I did "emerge -1 gcc",
which pulled it up from 9.3 to 10.3.  Portage is still no go.  Output
from "emerge -1 portage >>output.txt 2>&1" follows.  I have tried
building each of certifi, setuptools, toml, and setuptools_scm
separately with no luck.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>