I would strongly, STRONGLY discourage you from creating your own meta
package.  There are very few meta packages in the tree (in the scheme
of things) for very good reasons, they take one hell of a lot of
maintenance.  They're really only there for things like kde, where you
might just want a bare bones kde environment, or you might be
expecting the full-fat desktop environment with all the side packages
you'd get if you were using a distro that gave you no option out of
the box.

If you really want to group a bunch of packages into a set that gets
emerged with one command, I would do exactly that: create a custom
set.  Similar to @world, @system, @security, etc.  You can do that
quite easily, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_sets .

But really there's not a lot of use cases for it, mostly if you use a
package and it's not just a dep of something (or several things) you
should just have it in your world file, *for most people's use cases*.
Going through your world file and cleaning out cruft is a part of
regular gentoo maintenance, should be done at a minimum annually imo.
Much like cleaning out distfiles and whatnot (see eclean, from
app-portage/gentoolkit.  And, indeed, pretty much every other useful
utility in gentoolkit.  Also flaggie for use-flag management.)