On 8/20/22 10:22 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
What are you measuring the speed with - hdparm or rsync or ?

hdparm is best for profiling just the harddisk (tallks to the interface and can bypass the cache depending on settings, rsync/cp/?? usually have the whole OS storage chain including encryption affecting throughput.

How you measure performance is a complicated thing. There is the raw device speed verses the speed of the system under normal load while interacting with the drive.

At $WORK, we are more concerned about throughput of the drive in our day to day use case than drive's raw capacity.

Encryption itself can be highly variable depending on what you use and usually though not always includes compression before encryption.

Compression can be a very tricky thing. There's the time to decompress and compress the data as it's read and written (respectively). Then there's the throughput of data to the drive and through the drive to the media. If you're dealing with text that can get a high compression ratio with little CPU overhead, then there's a good chance that you will get more data into / out of the drive faster if it's compressed than at the same bit speed decompressed.

To whit I enabled compression on my ZFS pools a long time ago and never looked back.

There are tools you can use to isolate where the slowdown occurs. atop is another one that may help.

Yep.

[test using a USB3 shingled drive on a 32 it arm system]

Is that an Odroid XU4 system? If so, why 32-bit vs 64-bit? -- Or am I mistaken in thinking the Odroid XU4 is 64-bit?

xu4 ~ # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
  Timing cached reads:   1596 MB in  2.00 seconds = 798.93 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 526 MB in  3.01 seconds = 174.99 MB/sec
xu4 ~ #

If that is an Odroid XU4, then I strongly suspect that /dev/sda is passing through a USB interface. So ... I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. -- If the system is working for you, then by all means more power to you.

I found that my Odroid XU4 was /almost/ fast enough to be my daily driver. But the fan would kick in for some things and I didn't care for the noise of the stock fan. I've not yet compared contemporary Raspberry Pi 4 or other comparable systems.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die