On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:47:51 +0200
tastytea <gen...@tastytea.de> wrote:

> On 2022-10-07 17:25+0200 n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:

> > > Some man pages have history of commands in them.
> > >
> > > Admittedly, it seems as if man pages on Solaris and *BSD (I have
> > > access to FreeBSD) tend to be better than Linux man page at this
> > > aspect.
> > >

> > Well, the man page, yes, would be a good indicator, but the commands
> > themselves?
> >
> > Where does gentoo get the source to build  test(1) or expr(1) or
> > date(1)?    That's in some package, but where is the upstream
> > source? Is it something in github?  Or a linux portal?  Or Torvalds
> > private server?  Or the gnu server?
> >

> /usr/bin/test[1] was installed by sys-apps/coreutils[2], it's homepage
> is <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>[3], that links to the
> source code repository.

For me the first and most obvious place to look at is
/usr/share/doc/<package>/.  Usually there is NEWS or ChangeLog file or
both.  Which <package> it is you can get from man page (it is written
at the end in the "footer") or with command

  $ equery belongs `which <command>`.

--
Róbert Čerňanský
E-mail: ope...@tightmail.com